James A. Guess, M.D.
Dr. Guess is a fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the treatment of spine and minimally invasive spine conditions including fractures, sciatica, neck and back pain, osteoporosis, herniated disks, scoliosis, and various types of spine deformities. He treats his patients using non-operative and operative methods including physical therapy, injections, spine stimulators, disk removal and replacement. Dr. Guess treats patients of any age from pediatrics to adults at our Carrollton location since 1995.
Guess was raised in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and has practiced orthopedic surgery in Texas since 1995. After graduating from the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado, he attended graduate school at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. Dr. Guess completed medical school at the University Of Michigan School Of Medicine in Ann Arbor and then went on to completed his orthopedic surgery residency at University of Cincinnati Medical Center. He then went on to complete his fellowship in adult and pediatric spine surgery at University of Louisville in Kentucky.
A motto Dr. Guess lives by is, “If you listen to the patient, they will tell you what is wrong.” He believes that by simply taking the time to listen, together they can come up with a solution to get them back to their active and healthy lifestyle.
He has been married since 1990 and has one son.
- Minimally Invasive Spine
- Neck & Spine
- Fellowship – Adult and Pediatric Spine Surgery – Leatherman Spine Center – University of Louisville – Louisville, Kentucky – 1993-94
- Residency – Orthopaedic Surgery – University of Cincinnati Medical Center- Cincinnati, OH – 1989-93
- Internship – Department of General Surgery – University of Cincinnati Medical Center – Cincinnati, OH – 1988-89
- Externship- Howard University Medical Center – Department of Orthopaedic Surgery – Howard University – Washington, D.C. – 1986
- Medical School – University of Michigan School of Medicine – Ann Arbor, Michigan – 1984-88
HONORS AND DISTINCTIONS
- Voted – D Magazine Best Doctor in Dallas – 2017
- Recognized among D Magazine’s Best Doctors in Dallas – 2019
- Recognized among D Magazine’s Best Doctors in Dallas – 2021